Sunday 20 November 2005

The Missing Movies - Part Three

I'm still a bit paranoid that everything will crash again, but here goes:

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004):  This is the unnecessary sequel to the first Resident Evil flick -- and quite useless, unless of course you really like films based on video games.  I don't know who decided that Milla Jovovich was cut out to be an action hero (probably a result of her once being married to Luc Besson and starring in his "The Fifth Element"), but she's a pretty feeble one.  I don't suppose that will stop some bright spark from proposing yet another zombie-fighting film for her.  Mr. Romero, look what you have unleashed!

Lulu on the Bridge (1998):  This is yet another example of a movie that has fallen between the cracks and taken years to surface on the box.  Its director, Paul Auster, is much more talented as a novelist and screenwriter, but the film retains its interest, if only because the viewer is curious as to what is going on and how it will develop and/or resolve itself.  Harvey Keitel plays a musician who has been shot and who subsequently finds a mystical blue rock, falls in love with Mira Sorvino, and is kidnapped by an un- known mob which includes a threatening Willem Dafoe.  The real kicker is at the end of the movie when one discovers what actually has been going on for the previous hour and a half.

White of the Eye (1987):  The director Donald Cammell is probably best-known for co-directing "Performance" with Nic Roeg; he didn't make many more movies before topping himself in 1996 when the final edit of his last film was taken away from him.  This movie is brilliantly conceived and shot concealing the fact that it is actually a B-movie with a B-list cast (David Keith and Cathy Moriarty in the leads).  It concerns a messy serial killer -- the police suspect Keith but find it hard to believe that a devoted family man could also be a psycho.  Wrong!  It is, despite itself, consistently interesting.

Should catch up with myself soon, unless I meet myself on the way back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Should catch up with myself soon, unless I meet myself on the way back.' Lolol JP keep doing what your doing, I'm waiting for one where I can say a-ha I know that one. ((( ))) Rache xx