Wednesday 16 November 2005

Azumi (2003)


Having tried twice to write this on site, I will try posting my review of this exhilarating Japanese fantasy as an instant message and hope for the best.

Azumi is the only female among ten youngsters raised in seclusion by a martial arts master who has vowed to rid Japan of evil warlords.  When he decides that they should go out into the world to fulfill their "Mission" (not that this is ever spelled out), he tells them to pair up with their best friend and try to kill him. This is meant to make them more ruthless assassins, but struck me as stupid, since he was then left with five killers rather than ten.
Anyhow they go and slay dozens of baddies with amazing swordwork and lashings of blood, until only she is left to face the biggest killer of them all (a wonderfully camp performance by a giant dressed in white and carrying a rose). It did tend to go on a bit and I thought the film had ended three times before it did. However the set-up for a sequel is apparent and I would watch one if it were as stylish as this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still unable to edit or post new reviews -- I'm being persecuted!