Friday 11 November 2005

The Blob (1958)

In his first leading role, the 28-year old Steve McQueen plays a 17-year old out for a drive with his girl when they hear a meteor or something crash.  This unearths the nominal growing mass that absorbs all life forms before Steve-baby works out how to vanquish it.  I thought it might be fun to view this idiocy again, but it was hardly worth the time.  There was a re-make some years back with rather more gory effects, but no more wonderful.  For McQueen completists only.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was space-age technology at the time, but by the time I saw it - you could only laugh at the creakiness. Back in '58 it was my Dad's big cinema visiting moment - you always remember these films from that time of your life. He tried to enthuse me - very dramatically ..... it's coming round the door - it's going to get you.... it is.... The blob! A little scary when you're 7 maybe. I love the innocence and naievity. Very 50's, pre-new wave.