Tuesday 29 November 2005

Il Deserto Rosso/The Red Desert (1964)

The trouble with the Italain director Michaelangelo Antonioni is that my partner likes his films while I wouldn't care if I never viewed another.  This was his first in colour and some people rave about his palette; maybe the print I saw was faded, but it was really nothing special.  I find all of his movies dry and sterile, and if he is considered great for capturing this, so be it.  Here we have a bored housewife played by Monica Vitti, a  favourite of the director, starting a casual affair with Richard Harris (nothing remarkable in this role and dubbed into Italian to boot).  I have no idea what the title means.  Yes, her life was as empty as a desert, but I associate red with passion and there was little of that in evidence here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK - this one sounds worth tracking down too, if only to satisfy the curiosity. Richard Harris, set in Italy, 60's (his heyday) sounds good. And 2 years before Antonioni made his landmark film, Blow Up....