Thursday 10 November 2005

The Grass is Greener (1960)

I ask you -- a film with only four main characters: Cary Grant, Robert Mitchum, Deborah Kerr, Jean Simmons -- what could be bad?  And where nowadays would you find a film with four equally charming and watchable actors carrying the action?  If I think of recent attempts with the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, I just give up thinking.  While this movie could be dismissed as a stagy bit of fluff, it remains fresh because of the actors' presence.  The slightly naughty story of impoverished aristocrats being tempted morally by a brash American visitor to their struggling stately home is less important than the verve which these four bring to the table.  Will we ever see their likes again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I've seen that one and with that cast I'm thinking I most definitely have, but the story eludes me.........wish I had a memory that remembers stuff :) Rache xx