Friday 18 November 2005

The Missing Movies - Part One

You would not believe the problems I have been having not just with AOL (like everyone else) but it managed to muck up my brand new computer as well.  This is being entered with my crummy old computer which now works just fine.  I am not a happy bunny.  Anyhow this is just a brief report of what I've been trying to watch in the meantime:

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang (2005): I didn't do this on standby at the London Film Festival, so I again dragged myself to a local fleapit to see it. It was pretty good fun if a little too "knowing" and complicated.  Robert Downey Jr. is a delight as usual playing the dim bulb narrator who finds himself over his head; Val Kilmer plays the gay P.I. who helps him out -- less annoying than sometimes, but still too full of himself.

New York Minute (2004): I expected this to be fairly feeble having viewed other Olsen Twins efforts over the years (they have been making TV movies since they were toddlers).  This is probably their first "proper" movie and I really didn't hate it -- it was viewable pap in which they played twins of staggeringly different personalities and their misadventures on a day trip to New York with truant officer (Eugene Levy) in pursuit.

Ong-Bak (2003): I had heard such good things about this film that maybe I was expecting far too much.  The star, Tony Jaa, does indeed do some remarkable kick-boxing feats without wires or CGI, but apart from the fights (which fortunately were pretty frequent after the first bits of broing exposition), there was not much else to keep me entertained in this tale of trying to retrieve a stolen Buddha's head, and some of the supporting characters were hyper-annoying to say the least.

More to follow soon...

No comments: