Saturday 3 September 2005

Wolf Creek (2005)

This may be the last of my FrightFest reviews (or not, depending on what else is going on), but since it will be released mid-month, I thought I'd best make my comments now.  I believe this Australian flick debuted at Sundance where it was the object of a bidding war -- although I'm not sure why since it is reminiscent of a number of other films. It is apparently based on the true story of the so-called Back-packer killer who preyed on travellers in the 90's; this makes me think of another Australian film, "The Cars that Ate Paris", which was made long before the events outlined here.

Anyhow what we have here are two British gals on holiday who have teamed up with an Australian guy whom they fancy for a camping trip to a National Park in the middle of nowhere.  As in so many other movies, their car breaks down and they accept help from a passing backwoodsman.  Big mistake! This seals their fate and despite some red herrings, one just knows that there is not meant to be any sort of happy ending.  In common with many debut films, the director wastes too much time at the start of the movie detailing their carefree existence before getting down to the nitty-gritty business at hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Australian films rock. Must be something about all that space.