Wednesday 14 September 2005

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Yes the original movie, not the Richard Attenborough remake.  Repeat after me: some films should never be remade, even if they are in black and white.  While this is as much a traditional Christmas movie as "It's a Wonderful Life", I felt like having some pre-Christmas feelgood cheer today and believe me, I was smiling thoughout.  I don't suppose that the film is unknown to many of you, but to recap briefly, an Oscar-winning Edmund Gwenn believes that he is Kris Kringle; the State of New York thinks he's a nutter.  Natalie Wood is the little girl who has been told that there is no Santa Claus and very winning she is too.  The romance between her no-nonsense mother played by Maureen O'Hara and the lawyer next door (John Payne) is a little on the draggy side, but the remaining cast of character actors help propel this fantasy to a blissful level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One I've seen.......oooooh trilians of times and enjoyed it every time.  It appeals to the child in me wanting everything just so at Christmas.

Each re-make has an endearing quality, but in originals they normally put that stamp on them that means re-makes are good but not quite on the mark.  No-doubt I'll be seeing it again lolol and again.  xxRache