Thursday 29 September 2005

Inflight Movies

I don't really think that seeing films on filing-card-sized screens counts as having really seen a movie and mixed with the drifting in and out of sleep that flying encourages, my inflight viewing now seems like a wayward dream.  Of course I shall still make some brief comments but hold final judgment for now.

Mr & Mrs Smith: Very flashily done and yes, Brad and Angelina have some obvious sexual rapport, but the story of married assassins was more amusingly presented in "Prizzi's Honor".

Unleashed: Actually managed to see most of this strange tale of Bob Hoskins raising Jet Li as a fighting dog and it was pretty good and pretty violent.  Li is a great fighter and the action looked OK, even in miniature.

Meet the Fockers: I can see why this was such a box office hit since it is the comedy of embarrassment and pretty low-brow with it.  Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand seem to be having a particularly good time.

The Descent:  I only saw part of this as I drifted in and out of oblivion, but the story of a group of potholing girlfriends looked good scary fun.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: I missed a big chunk towards the end, but what I did manage seemed most imaginatively presented (as befits the cult material.) One quick comment: as I've said elsewhere on this site, I am ever more impressed with the acting ability of the oddly named Mos Def.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meet the fockers was just sheer fun. You could feel the fun they must have had making it, and they really came over more real than real, in that unreal, movie-like way.

As for the Hithikers Guide - the only problem was it just wanted to be so much longer. It felt like such a rush - so many ideas that could have been expanded on, but then I guess that's why you read the book.....