Saturday 10 September 2005

The Calcium Kid (2004)

One of the great mysteries to me of the current movie world is how the not overly-talented Orlando Bloom became an A-list star.  Granted he looked great with blonde hair extensions in the Lord of the Rings films, but without them he is neither particularly gorgeous or noticeably charismatic.  While his fans may well enjoy this little British effort, squeezed between the bigger budget films, if I were he, I would get it wiped from my filmography, since it is squeamishly awful, as only bad British films can be.  He plays a milkman who finds himself as a contender for the middleweight boxing title (he didn't look heavy enough to me).  The supporting cast were uniformly embarrassing and while Bloom retained some likeability, that's it.  As part of proving his wholesome nature, he occasionally chug-a-lugged full pints of milk; I just bet he loved that part of the filming.

No comments: