Monday 12 September 2005

The Aristocrats (2005)

Yes, I must admit that I dragged myself to a cinema to see this new release; I had read so much about it that I was indeed curious.  What can I say?  Firstly any potential viewer needs a high tolerance level for obscenity since this is the main point of the documentary.  For those unfamiliar with the subject matter, the title is the punch line of a joke which begins with someone walking into a talent agent's office to describe their "family act".  Then follows every combination of sexual congress and bodily fluids that the mind can conjure; when the shocked agent asks the act's name, the reply is "The Aristocrats".

Apparently this joke has mythic status amongst professional comics and they play it as jazz, with each comic improvising his own dirty scenario.  The picture covers some 100 comedians telling part of the joke or commenting on it and most of them were unknown to me -- and naturally some were much funnier than others.  But unlike some of the reviews I've read, I did not find myself rolling on the floor or otherwise creasing myself; I smiled or laughed lightly a few times -- that's it.  While I'm glad that I have now seen it, I think it is well out of my system and I very much doubt that I would put myself through a second viewing.

No comments: