Friday 16 September 2005

Against the Ropes (2004)

I can remember (not that long ago) when I really liked Meg Ryan, but she has not had a hit film for some years and her attempt to broaden her range does not appear to be working.  She has also (to my eye) had some unfortunate facial surgery; what's wrong with growing old gracefully?  Anyhow here she portrays one Jackie Kallan (who appears in a cameo) who was apparently the most successful female fight promoter ever -- although I gather the facts of Kallan's life have been broadly fictionalised.

Now boxing films come just after war movies as the pictures I can happily do without, although I know there have been classics in both genres.  Challenged to prove that she can promote a champion, Kallan finds a streetfighter, well played by Omar Epps.  She enlists a retired trainer, Charles Dutton, who also directed the movie, but they face formidable obstacles from the old boys club in the fight game.  It's a relatively interesting story, if a little predictable, but I'm not convinced that Ryan wasn't miscast.

No comments: