Saturday 17 September 2005

Windy City (1984)

There are some films in my collection that I wonder whether anyone else in Britain has seen.  To the best of my knowledge this one has never been on terrestrial TV or available on either VHS or DVD; my copy came off Sky some 15-16 years ago.  The not-so-starry cast headlines John Shea (who is a ringer for Michael Ontkean), Josh Mostel (son of Zero) and Kate Capshaw (now best-known as Mrs. Spielberg).  Both actors are still active and I think little-known, but they are both nothing short of terrific here.

It's yet another tale of boyhood friendship and dreams as recounted by a struggling writer.  It weaves in and out of the present and ends with one final grand gesture to honour the one who is gravely ill.  The killer ending guarantees tears every time.  Maybe some day it will turn up on television and you'll see what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope it does come on TV, it looks one I'd investigate. xxRache