Monday 30 January 2006

The Verdict (1982)

I've always kind of liked Paul Newman without considering myself a fan as such and I am surprised to realise that some of his better films are not in my collection; I'm talking about movies like "Hud" and "Cool Hand Luke" where I can admire his performance without having any real desire to view them with any frequency.  In fact, only "The Hustler", "The Prize" and "Torn Curtain" from the first part of his career make the cut.  However like fine wines, Newman does seem to improve with age, possibly because he never took himself too seriously as an actor.  Anyhow I found myself watching the above movie and was quite taken with the sincerity of his performance.  He plays a washed-out lawyer turned ambulance-chaser due to the demon drink, until he takes on a seemingly hopeless case through which he achieves redemption.  His courtroom adversary is the very wonderful James Mason in one of his last roles and  the quiet fireworks between them are a wonder to behold -- no overacting where a simple gesture will suffice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite an iconic film isn't it. Hmm. Must get round to it.....