Wednesday 25 January 2006

Seven Beauties (1975)

I've wanted to see this Italian picture forever, so when I saw a copy in a video rental shop I was all excited.  The excitement didn't last long as it was an appalling copy with obvious video damage and worse still it was dubbed.  And not only was it dubbed into English, but it was dubbed into English with people using sham Italian accents which made it doubly awful.  I think there must be a good film lurking there, as the director, Lina Wertmuller was Academy-nominated as best director and best writer, and the lead , Giancarlo Giannini , who was virtually on screen non-stop was nominated for best actor.  He plays a fascist everyman who will do anything to survive during World War II including some pretty revolting behaviour in a concentration camp with some sexual one-on-one with Shirley Stoler, the extremely fat cult actress from "The Honeymoon Killers". Not an easy movie to take, especially as seen on this copy -- but I think the movie is now out of my system and I'm unlikely to look further.

No comments: