Thursday 5 January 2006

La Revue des Revues (1927)

Another oddity to add to my film collection: this silent was primarily a historical record of revue acts from the Folies Bergere and other Parisian variety halls and included two clips featuring Josephine Baker (who frankly was something of an ungainly dancer, although a larger than life personality).  The framing story of a girl wanting to make it big in the business was kind of superfluous. but the production numbers filmed in early two- strip colour were worth my time in spades.  I could have done without the too modern score which clashed with the feel of the period, but I guess I can't have everything my own way and should be grateful that someone has seen fit to preserve this footage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Question answered?

A b&w worth viewing? You're our movie guide, PPP!