Monday 9 January 2006

So what else have I seen?

Every so often I need to remind myself and my readers just how obsessed I must be, since although I've commented on a number of films so far this year, they were only nine of the 23 I watched -- and in some cases you can take this term loosely -- in the last eight days.  I can do arithmetic too and I know that this averages out to three a day -- about par for the course for me!  So what else was on?  Most of them deserve only the briefest capsules, so here goes:

I, Robot:  Will Smith and lots of special effects but it didn't stop my yawning.  Lucky Jordan: Alan Ladd (1942) -- don' think I've seen this one before but not exactly memorable as gang boss is drafted.  William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet: I was only re-editing this one and not really paying attention but every time I looked up, I was reminded as to how great the visuals are.  The Prince and Me (2004): more disposable Hollywood fluff as med-student Julia Stiles falls for the Crown Prince of Denmark (yeah, sure).  Castle Keep: an interesting movie from 1969 which again I was re-editing, another poignant reminder of the futility of war.  Being Julia (2004): started off slowly but pretty engaging as Annette Benning's aging actress takes revenge on her young and fickle paramour.  Wasabi: A French-language flick from 2001 starring Jean Reno doing his cheeky and violent bit in Japan.  They Won't Believe Me (1947): thought I'd have another look at this noir with Robert Young cast against type as a villain, but the pacing was all wrong.  A Kid for Two Farthings (1955): another re-look and rather less charming than I remembered it.  The Tattooed Stranger (1950):  the Radio Times called this a cult classic amongst cineastes -- well it isn't.  Three television movies all predictable and forgettable -- so let's forget them.  And finally Churchill, the Hollywood Years, a total embarrassment from last year which really did put me to sleep.

So now you know.  I promise not to do this again too often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3 a day keeps the doctor away?....