Sunday 29 January 2006

Studio Ghibli season

I've now viewed another three anime, two of them by Miyazaki, and generally I am happy to have seen them.  I'd be happier still if two of the three hadn't been dubbed.  At least the American voices were credited on Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986) and Kiki's Delivery Service (1989). (Incidentally I saw a DVD of the latter in the shops within a few days of viewing it and a Japanese sound-track is definitely available -- so shame on FilmFour who claim to show films as they were made -- ho ho ho.)  The third which Miyazaki only produced was in the original Japanese which somehow added to my pleasure -- that film was Only Yesterday (1991) and was a kind of love story as a young woman looked back on her troubled childhood.  In fact all three movies had girls or youngish women as their heroines as did Nausicaa and as do Miyazaki's most recent releases -- so Studio Ghibli is unafraid of depicting the world through female eyes whereas Disney chose fit to change Chicken Little from female to male!!

At lease three more Ghibli films are scheduled over the next week or so and despite the drawbacks I do look forward to furthering my education.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the Oriental films with their own voices and subtitles, much more enjoyable.  I hate dubbing, you can't put a pea in a bean case and say it's the same :)Rache xx