Thursday 21 July 2005

Whitewash - The Clarence Brandley Story (2002)

I very nearly didn't post my reactions to this cable movie (believe it or not, not everything I see makes it to this blog) since I was feeling battered after seeing a theme that I have seen time and again -- how an innocent black man can be condemned for murder by a racist community.  Based on a true story (of course), the title character spent ten years in jail, eight of them on death row, before being reprieved five days before his set execution.  Since his final re-trial he has received no compensation and the real murderers who are known are still at large.

So far so good, but making movies of this type of tale, however worthily, does not appear to change the travesties of justice that can occur in some southern states.  OK, they make us liberal viewers more aware but that is hardly the problem.

No comments: