Thursday 14 July 2005

It Runs in the Family (2002)

I guess if one is a power player one can get just about anything made, but this vanity project starring three generations of Douglases -- Kirk, Michael and Michael's son Cameron -- plus Kirk's first wife (and Michael's mother) is really the limit.  Not that the story of three generations of wealthy New York Jews with all their attendant problems and hang-ups wasn't of interest while it was on, but barely memorable once it had finished.

I have never been much of a Kirk Douglas fan although he has appeared in a number of very good films, most of which I have in my collection; he has always struck me as a "look-at-me-and-see-how-macho-I-am" kind of actor.  However since he had his stroke I do find it painful to watch him on screen, although to give credit where it is due, he does seem to be striving very hard to overcome his speech defect and has certainly improved.

No comments: