Monday 4 July 2005

The Incredibles (2004)

This is the first time I have sat through this film, having seen parts of it in passing (as in in-and-out-of-the-room) previously.  The film comes with a pedigree of praise which is well-warranted and Pixar certainly confirm their animation skills.

I am actually quite an animation fan and accept that old-fashioned 2-D hand-drawn films have had their day (although no one will ever convince me that Hayao Miyazaki has had his).  There is much to admire in the technical virtuosity of "The Incredibles" and the voice talent is largely first-rate, but there was something about the film as a whole that left me a little uneasy.  Perhaps it was the over-emphasis on families sticking together which is very politically-correct nowadays or perhaps it was the realisation that indeed too many people today think mediocrity should be the norm and unusual skills surpressed.

However those niggles apart I do have to agree that this film is a stupendous achievement and one which deserves all the kudos it has received. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm yet to see this, it's on my list, I like most of the animations.........even the ones aimed at kids lol  Have promised myself I will sit and watch it one day. xxRache