Wednesday 6 July 2005

Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

I've only seen Stephen Chow's previous UK release "Shaolin Soccer" in its shortened, dubbed version and look forward to seeing the complete version with subtitles (I do have an in-built aversion to dubbing full stop).  I have also seen several of his earlier Hong Kong films on tape; his comedy is very broad, but he is as popular in Hong Kong as Jackie Chan, possibly even more so nowadays.

This film (which benefits from subtitles) is very silly in places and exhilarating in others.  Chow seems to think that if he revs up the action, he will have more hits than misses -- and this is generally true. After a relatively slow start where Chow is a would-be gangster, he reveals the hidden kung-fu talents of a slum tenement's inhabitants and eventually becomes a kung fu master himself.  Much of the action is heavily dependent on CGI effects, but the funniest moments are the small ones which spring from the innate silliness of his character.  There is also a sentimental sub-plot with a mute girl which could hark back to silent film.  All in all a satisfying cinema visit although there were one of two images that I could have done without, particularly the last one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another one that's on my list when I find time.  I do like these sort, especially with subtitles...........I'm a Water Margin fan from way back so although many are tongue in cheek they do it with style. xxRache