Friday 22 July 2005

The Natural (1984)

It's been a while sinced I last viewed this film and while I concede that it is well-done and well-acted, I am still not drawn in by it.  It's not a question of not enjoying movies about baseball, since I can think of a number of good ones, but the fact that this story strives to make one believe that it is some sort of mythic experience that loses me. Robert Redford plays a young man whose dreams of baseball glory are cut short by a totally inexplicable event but who comes back to the game some 15 years later with great success. He was far too old then to play even a 35-year old but he makes a reasonable job of it and the supporting cast are uniformly good.  The film is some sort of allegory between good and evil, good women and bad women, and remaining true to oneself or something.  I wish I could be more positive, but somewhere along the way I gave up caring. 

No comments: