Saturday 16 July 2005

Van Helsing (2004)

I saw this movie at the cinema when it was first released and thought it was crap. To be more charitable on this second viewing I shall say it was a load of hokum (thank you, Michael).  The trouble is that it is so dependent on computer generated images that character and story are lost in the process.  I have nothing against CGI as such -- I can remember how impressed I was when I first saw "Jurassic Park" but the visual overload here is such that one feels trapped in a computer game.  The movie begins with a pastiche tribute to the Universal films of the 30's which only serves as a reminder of how effective those early horror films were in comparison. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Think I agree with you there.  It's a kind of seen it cos it was talked about but put on the bottom shelf afterwards.  I liked parts but I was geared up for fantastic.....and it fell short of that. xxRache