Thursday 6 October 2005

Northfork (2003)

This film was a major disappointment.  I wanted so much to like it, but found it nearly incomprehensible and unmoving.  It's the story (on the surface) of a Montana town in the 50's that is about to be flooded and a bunch of po-faced men in black who must ensure that the inhabitants have all left -- even if they have nowhere to go.  Alongside this we have the fantasies of a dying child and the search by a group of angels for one of their number who is missing.  This might suggest something similar to "Wings of Desire", but the movie is not in the same league, and left this viewer indifferent.  The eerie landscape is rendered in shades of grey which creates an air of mystery over the minimal action.  Even the cast which includes some starry names come across as nearly anonymous and they all seem to whisper their lines.  Maybe I've lost my "boogie", but I need more substance to my fantasy.

No comments: