Friday 14 October 2005

The missing movies - Part Three

And still they come:

Dangerous (1935):  Another Bette Davis flick and one for which she won an Oscar, although it is thought to have been as compensation for not winning the previous year.  In this film she plays a famous actress who has disappeared from the scene and found solace in drink.  The ever-suave Franchot Tone tries to reform her and re-launch her career at the expense of his own engagement, but as the title tells us she is dangerous to know.

A Piano for Mrs. Cimino (1982): While I was on a Bette Davis kick I thought I'd rewatch this television movie from late in her career (but before her stroke) and pretty depressing it was too.  Unfortunately it's probably more true to life than one would care to admit as stupid doctors, uncaring children and venal trustees deprive an elderly widow of both her dignity and financial stability.  That there is a sort of happy ending is not really compensation for what comes before.

Elf (2003):  This was a big hit for Will Ferrall who is all over the place nowadays, but just a little too frenetic for my taste.  (I did like him in "Melinda and Melinda" as a Woody Allen clone.)  In this one he is a human mistakenly taken to the North Pole by Santa as an infant and raised as an elf.  Nice conceit.  He goes to New York to find his real father (a reluctant James Caan, who was probably thinking 'what am I doing in this film?'), but can not forsake his elvish ways.  There are a few genuine chuckles and a feel-good ending, so I'll try to be generous.

The Secret of Roan Inish (1994):  An unusual film to come from the writer-director John Sayles who is best-known for his ensemble politically-charged dramas.  This is a charming tale set on the west coast of Ireland of a wee lass sent to live with her grandparents and the local myths of a lost child guarded by the seals and the seals that become human (selkies).  The seals and the seagulls are pretty terrific too.

Trespass (1992):  I quite like this Walter Hill action film of two greedy firemen searching for stolen treasures from a church robbery some years before.  They go to a purportedly deserted warehouse, but cross paths with a black gang that are there for other reasons, with disastrous results all round.  I would normally avoid a heavily black cast, but this group led by both Ice T and Ice Cube are more than OK.  Bill Forsyth as one of the two fireman is also just fine in the sort of role that he would reprise in "A Simple Plan".

I'll be back...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen the Secret of Roan Inish, I like most of those sort too especially Irish ones.  Am awful at remembering titles and the actors, but if the rest of me cooperates I think I liked this one. Rache xx

Anonymous said...

I remember Roan Inish as a radio play, and it worked superbly on that medium. Remember the posters for Elf - look goofish. He was good in Melinda and Melinda actually. That seemed like one on Woody's better ones of recent times.