Tuesday 18 October 2005

4 aka Chetyre (2004)

So I was taken to the ICA to see this well-reviewed Russian film and sat there for the full two hours plus (which felt a lot longer), and guess what folks, I have not the slightest idea what it was about or what I was meant to take from the experience.  It started well enough with the deserted streets of Moscow occupied only by wild dogs, soon to be disturbed by earth-moving machines.  It then moved to three strangers in an empty bar telling wild lies about their work and lives.  The rest of the movie followed them into their real worlds, concentrating particularly on the sole female.  We accompany her on an interminable train journey and a trek across some muddy fields as she goes to the funeral of an ex-girlfriend who lived among a community of crones who chewed bread from which she fashioned dolls' heads.  Yeah! The balance of the film focuses on the old ladies gorging on a dead pig and exposing their withered dugs.  By the time the film ended on a close-up of one of the crones crooning a folk song I was consumed by uncontrollable giggles.  I guess I'll never hack it as a serious film critic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Pretty grotesque huh? Saw it about 2 weeks ago there:

http://journals.aol.co.uk/ticklatowers/TheJabberwockyOfJuliusJones/entries/998

Get rid of the hollywood notion of film making. Forget films paced by plot, and think of films based on a linear collection of images and scenes.
I'm liking it more and more since I saw it - just so outrageous. Those scenes where those old folk are eating on the train, or the old women while their pissed and eating pig fat like children eating candyfloss at a fair. And the potato dolls?

Man. Quite something.

These are films you remember. And maybe that's the point of them after all. You take away an abstract, warped take on the world. And know that possibly, somewhere deep in the heart of Russia, it's a true likeness.

It kind of influenced this journal entry too:

http://journals.aol.co.uk/ticklatowers/TheJabberwockyOfJuliusJones/entries/1024

Hmm. Ok.

Anonymous said...

In the bar telling wild lies - was it like 'who are we anyway? who's anyone?'

Anonymous said...

I take your point -- maybe I need to keep more of an open mind.  Let's see how much of this film sticks with me in a few week's time.  That will be the acid test, although I know now that I won't easily forget some of the crone images.

Leonardi linken said...

I found your post interesting to read and i want to say that this is a best post i have ever seen until now. Take a look at LIC Jeevan Saathi Plan