Wednesday 19 July 2006

The Break-up (2006)

This hot weather is doing me in, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  I did drag myself out to see a preview of the above movie (at least the cinema was air-conditioned), but I could have done without the sauna-like tube network.  Never mind, they are not about to remake "The Incredible Melting Man" (now there's a bad, bad film!).  Anyhow, getting back to the above, I was a little disappointed, as it started off smartly with some decent laughs, but it began to sag halfway through.  Boy meets Girl, they buy a condo, Girl breaks up with Boy because of his selfish behaviour, Girl hopes to get Boy back by making him jealous, and so on.  The fact that the film didn't give us the expected resolution for similar rom-coms was probably in its favour, although the audience was left with a carrot for the future of this relationship.  Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn, who I understand are a real-life post-Pitt couple, have soso screen chemistry and I soon tired of them both.  The amazing thing was seeing how enormously fat both Jon Favreau amd Vincent D'Onofrio have become -- but that's kind of depressing.  I will give Judy Davis full marks as the owner of the art gallery where Aniston works, playing a full-blooded eccentric.  My final verdict, wait until it turns up on TV.

No comments: