Wednesday 8 March 2006

Millionaire's Express (1987)

Considering how many I have watched over the last fifteen years or so, I don't think I've mentioned previously that I am something of a  Hong Kong movie aficionado; this is one that I've not seen before and it was rather a mixed bag.  Directed by and co-starring Sammo Hung (one of my favourites -- if you don't recognize the name, he is the very fat action hero out of the series "Martial Law"), it was like a rogue's gallery of familiar faces from previous movies -- rather like seeing old friends.  It was primarily a comedy, and Hong Kong humour can be very basic, relying on pratfalls and the like, of a group of bandits on a train, another group of bandits hoping to rob the train, and Sammo trying to divert the train to provide customers for his wholesome group of hookers.  Mixed in with this nonsense was some super fighting action and I have always marvelled how a man of Sammo's size can be so graceful and athletic.  But he was trained at the Peking Opera School alongside Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao who remained good friends and co-stars well into their respective careers.  Not one of his best films by any means, but one I'm happy to have finally viewed.

No comments: