Tuesday 14 March 2006

Becky Sharp (1935)

After somewhat badmouthing the recent version of "Vanity Fair", I decided to have a look at the so-called "classic" version above which I have in my collection but which I've not seen for many years, and I now feel I should have been more charitable to the remake.  While the 1935 movie is of historic importance insofar as it was the first full-length film in three-strip colour, it has little to recommend it as a well-made film.  Even more eclectic in its approach to the source material, its main fault is that nearly all of the actors are far too old for the roles they are playing.  The lead, Miriam Hopkins, was 32 at the time and just never seemed the right age for Becky at any stage of the proceedings; she was however Oscar-nominated, however strange that seems now, and  the movie even got a best-picture nod.  Moreover all of the male leads were well over forty which is ludicrous for the early story lines.  For once having a number of well-known character actors  in evidence did little to salvage this prestige but empty production.  As I've said before, not all oldies are goodies.

As a postscript let me say that I went to see "Mirrormask" again since my partner had not seen it and it is finally on (unfortunately extremely limited) release.  It's a shame that it is unlikely to find its audience in cinemas, but it is such a brilliantly conceived creation that I hope it will achieve cult status on DVD and beyond.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having overheard the film I now know where the Al Pacino school of shouting
started!
mgp1449

Anonymous said...

Do you know if it is possible to obtain a copy of the BBC serial 'Clochmerle', of about 1970, from the novel by Gabrielle Chevallier? I've tried the Internet, but without success, apart from some incomplete notes about the series. Like your blog. All the best, Malcolm.