Sunday 12 March 2006

King Arthur vs. Sleepover (both 2004)

I watched both of these movies yesterday and as an adult semi-serious person, I guess I should have preferred the big budget "King Arthur".  Wrong!!  I guess I've had my fill of demythifying  (is that a word?) legends and replacing them with so-called gritty realism.  Two hours of bloody battles left me yawning for some light relief.  This wasn't helped by the fact that Clive Owen (twinned with Epping Forest) played Arthur and as his Guinivere, Keira Knightley looked like she'd rather be home polishing her toenails.  The balance of the cast were OK, but frankly it was hard to work up any enthusiasm for the Roman mercenaries defeating paganism.  Long live paganism I say.

As for the other movie, one really needed the mindset of a fourteen-year old girl to get into the swing of it and as you may have guessed, I am well past that; however, it was light and silly and extremely easy to take.  Alex Vega, out of the "Spykids" series which has never turned me on, was fine as the youngster on the verge of entering High School (even if she did look 35 in some shots) who was hosting a sleepover party for her equally unpopular friends; they get involved in a scavenger hunt challenge with the in-crowd, and you don't need much imagination to guess the winners.  With some amusing throwaway characters including her slacker brother and oblivious Dad it proved good fun.  Or maybe I was just in a strange mood yesterday....  Or maybe I'm just strange!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It may mean little to younger readers but Keira Knightly has always struck me as
a female remodel of Tommy Trinder - though he had a larger embonpoint!   I do
wonder why the writer and director thought that Roman mercenaries wore light
armour when several centuries later knights had to be lifted on to their horses
and were out of action if they were unseated because of the weight they carried.
mgp1449