Wednesday 10 August 2005

Geordie (1955)

This is another film that brings back strange memories, since I saw it in the cinema two nights in a row some years ago, because I was afraid to tell my "hot" date that I had seen it with my parents the day before.  Funny the idiotic things one remembers. Anyhow I have seen it several times since and it is still something of a charmer; it's not a brilliant movie by any means but the combination of glorious Scottish landscape, the always welcome appearance of Alastair Sim, and the cute story of Wee Geordie (the film's US title) growing from a scrawny youth to an Olympic champion through a Charles Atlas-type correspondence course add up to a winner. It also has something important to say about national identity and pride in one's community, which is not a bad thing either.

 

No comments: