Wednesday 1 June 2005

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2004)

This made for cable film is based on  a popular book which I have not read but which was adapted for film by the author so I must assume it is fairly faithful which means I will probably never read it after sitting through this twaddle.

It stars Jon Voight in old-age make-up which makes him look like a spotted toad. He has just died having tried to save a little girl from falling machinery at the amusement pier where he has worked all his life. He then must meet five people from his past not all of whom he has actually ever met (although I counted six) before they can find their own heavens and he can find his -- or some such rubbish.

The stand-out among these is Jeff Daniels as a blue-skinned man (I kid you not) who died in a car accident when the Voight character as a child ran in front of his car.  Having advised Voight that he was the cause he is free to lose his blue skin and go off to his personal nirvana.  Groovy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've just started that book, didn't know there was a film.~xxR