Friday 24 June 2005

Alex & Emma (2003)

I can't really review this film since I gave up on it after about an hour and am surprised that I stuck it that long, as I found it a complete embarrassment.  Ever since Goldie's little girl, Kate Hudson, was nominated for an oscar for "Almost Famous", the powers that be seem to have decided that she is a  fascinating lead and will come across with her mother's trademark kookiness.  Wrong.  I have seen all of her follow-up films and am yet to be convinced that she can carry a film.  Pairing her with Luke Wilson who has little of his brother's laid-back charm doesn't help.

I gave up when the stories within the story (she is helping him write a novel) started featuring her as the various characters speaking in funny accents or in old-age make-up.  Enough already -- a dire failure from Ron Reiner who has directed some of the more successful light comedies of recent years.

 

No comments: