Wednesday 15 June 2005

The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)

Peter Greenaway's films are definitely an acquired taste which I haven't quite acquired.  I think I've seen nearly all of them now and while I have four of them in my collection, they are not an easy watch.  Greenaway has a labyrinthine artistic mind and it takes an effort to get on his wavelength.  It is some 20 years since I last viewed this one and I think I saved it for the formal sumptuousness of its visuals -- it can't have been for the storyline of a draughtsman agreeing to create 12 vistas of a country estate (back in the 17th Century) in exchange for sexual favours.  One is led to believe that it is he who controls the situation but eventually one learns that he is just a pawn in a devious game.

As I say, great to look at but very wordy and at times mystifying.  I wonder about the purpose of the naked man who periodically ran about the estate pretending to be a statue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie and have it in my collection.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/