Tuesday 14 June 2005

The Bridges of Madison County (1995)

It's confession time: I could never warm to the talents of Meryl Streep when she was busy winning oscars and talking in funny voices.  However she does seem to improve as she (and I) grow older and she really managed to move me in this role for which she received her tenth oscar nomination (and, yes, she does speak with an Italian accent).  Perhaps it's the mitigating influence of her co-star, Clint Eastwood, for whom I have a soft spot -- and in his early roles he managed to barely speak at all.

This tale of once-in-a-lifetime mature love unexpectedly found and then lost is a real lump-in-the-throater.  The chemistry between the leads was both believable and riveting.  One would have liked a different ending, but realistically there could have been no other.  I understand that the novel on which this is based is something of a potboiler, but Eastwood did a stupendous job of directing the story into a  very special and touching movie. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Meryl Streep has improved, she's had a few more better parts to play, more serious parts which have brought out her talent more.  I like Clint too.~xxR