Friday 13 October 2006

The DVD backlog

Now that Sky in its wisdom has decided that two or three new films a week is sufficient and Film4 is replaying its back catalogue for its new Freeview audience, most nights when I'm in there is little to watch on the box that I've not seen previously -- I have even seen all of the "new" Korean premieres on Film4 this month.  And there is a limit to the number of television movies shown on Hallmark and their sister channel that I can tolerate at any one time.  So most nights, we fall back on our DVD backlog -- which I hate to admit is quite substantial -- in the search for new thrills.  Poor, poor Patty!  Some evenings are more successful than others, and yesterday's was a typical mixture:

Rider on the Rain (1969):  We remembered seeing this on a transatlantic flight many moons ago, but could remember nothing about it other than that it was French-made and starred Charles Bronson (whose granite-like masculinity I like just fine).  It is also fairly well rated by the critics, so I was not prepared for the disappointment in store.  Firstly it was one of the worst prints I ever seen on a DVD transfer, nearly black and white when it wasn't meant to be.  Also I found Bronson's co-star Marlene Jobert something of a disappointment, especially since she was on screen nearly non-stop.  Part of the problem is that the film which was set in France was probably originally shot in French with a dubbed Bronson, which might or might not have been an improvement.  Bronson was as usual just dandy and there was even a small part for his beloved wife, Jill Ireland.  Mind you in the olden days they probably could get away with showing an in-flight film about a raped woman who murders her attacker -- not nowadays I bet.

Police Assassins/Yes Madam (1985):  This Hong Kong movie was a real mixed bag, but on balance more jolly than not.  Michelle Yeoh (billed early in her career as Michelle Khan) is now famous for her martial arts skills, but in this her third movie, she had to practice for months to try her hand (and feet) here for the first time.  She plays a cop searching for missing microfilm and paired with real-life champion fighter Cynthia Rothrock, who wasn't attractive enough for US movies but who made a big splash back then in Hong Kong.  The two of them really do kick some ass in flamboyant style by the film's end.  Unfortunately one also has to put up with some singularly low and unfunny Chinese humour by an array of familiar faces from Sammo Hung downwards during much of the exposition.  I was wondering why Yuen Biao wasn't fighting, until I worked out that the actor I thought was him was actually a ringer.  Even more weirdly prolific Hong Kong director Hark Tsui appears as one of the quasi-baddies -- he should stick with his day job. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greatings!! Happy Friday the 13th!! I'm sure you will be interested in these photos! Check them out if you'd like. I acyually caught a ghost in a photo I took at the Eastern State Penitentiary. Enjoy & HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!