Sunday 16 April 2006

Tristan+ Isolde (2006)

I had tickets for a preview of this film and while I sat through its interminable length, I kept thinking that it probably would have been less painful and less time-consuiming to attend the Wagnerian opera of the same name.  Well, probably not...but it did seem to go on forever in its ponderous and overblown way.  While it is meant to tell of one of the great love stories, it was all a bit too well-meaning to compensate for all of the very brown battle scenes.  We have the hero and heroine "meeting cute" when his Viking funeral boat washes up on the shores of Ireland to be discovered by her, and of course, realising that he is not dead, she and her handmaiden immediately strip off to keep him warm!  Alas she must marry Lord Marke, the future unifying King of England, played remarkably well by Rufus Sewell, and her forbidden love for Tristan, Mark's right-hand man, can only end in tragedy.  Sophia Myles and the American actor, James Franco, fill the title roles attractively, but I can't help but feel that it was two hours of my life that I will never regain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww dear JP, I saw the trailer of this one and thought 'yep!! that's a mush one for me'.  I do want to see it.......didn't know it was very long though.  It could be sort you watch and then forget though, but never mind, I can always doodle while it's on. Rache

Anonymous said...

Served her right for lying to the handsome Tristan in the first place but this was no reason for her to become a cheating hussy!  Still one might say that just as everyone seems to blame Margaret Thatcher for the ills of today (a load of codswallop in my opinion) her behaviour echoes the lack of moral fibre in present
day politics.
mgp1449

Anonymous said...

i don't care what anyone says; James Franco is hot, but i guess that's the only reason i like this movie. I don't think a guy like that would've fallen for a girl like Isolde; she's a bit of wet fish. If she had more attitude, then maybe..........