Friday 7 April 2006

Raising Helen (2004)

Well I didn't hate this movie as much as I thought I would since Kate Hudson has always seemed over-hyped to me and her co-lead, John Corbett, has annoyed me ever since I first spied his airy-fairy, hippy character in TV's "Northern Exposure".  She plays a feckless young career woman lumbered with three children on her eldest sister's death and he plays a Lutheran pastor running the school they attend, and despite everything she learns to cope and "lurve" blooms.  The whole shooting match was ever so twee but saved from complete nausea-inducement by some smart dialogue and by just-about-standable child actors.  The best part of the film was the presence of Joan Cusack, playing the super-mom middle sister who wasn't given custody; every one of her line-readings were remarkably brittle and real and helped make the film all the more watchable for a cynic like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes you do seem a mite cynical.  I have just read the comment you made to a  journal entry of mine, I was telling of a past experience of mine in which I mentioned David Hemmings etc.  Your comment seemed rather sneering to me.  I could of course be wrong but I decided to come see what you are all about.  My you do watch a lot of movies don't you?  Lighten up,  I cannot for the life of me see how I was insinuating that people reading my piece might just be teeny boppers!  Anyway good luck,  I hope you have some nice movies to watch in the near future.