Friday 30 December 2005

So what has PPP been viewing for the last week?

Quite a lot considering all the other things going on, but not much to write home about.  I saw a number of seasonal offerings on the Hallmark Channel, all equally forgettable including Steve Guttenberg playing a single Santa looking for Mrs. Claus (how the mighty have fallen!)  The kiddy movies playing in the background whilst I pursued my domestic duties will similarly be ignored, although I did have the dubious pleasure of watching "Garfield"; there are those who will forgive Bill Murray anything for his sour persona and those who don't really give a damn -- like me.  I also viewed the British efforts "Layer Cake" and "Five Children and It" -- and the less said of the latter the better.  As for the former, the whole British take on the criminal underworld leaves me wanting to see something else.

So were there any highlights on the box?  Well I thought "Winged Migration" was a nice restful nature doc, kind of like a screen-saver with some wonderful photography, lots of ooh-ah moments and no story as such -- not that this mattered.  The very best film I have seen in the last week is the Argentinian "Son of the Bride" (2001).  This started off very slowly as our 40-ish hero faced various mid-life crises, but it became more and more involving as one got to know him, his daughter, his ex-wife, his girlfriend, a long-lost childhood friend, his savvy father and his absolutely delightful mother who was coping with dementia.  His father wants to renew his marriage vows and the ceremony that eventually takes place is one of the more memorable wedding services ever.  All in all, a delight.

Finally as a tonic against all this season of good will lark, I did view the DVDs of "Creep" (the London Underground harbouring a psycho-killer) and "Saw" which was as gory and clever as I had been led to believe.  Nothing like some blood and guts to put things to rights.

In case there is another small hiatus over the next day or so, Happy New Year to you all. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you too JP, I've had a bit of telly watching myself..........it's traditional at Christmas :) Rache xx