Tuesday 20 December 2005

Namus - The Honour (1926)

Now here's a new taste thrill for Pretty Pink, an Armenian film made in 1926.  I must confess that I didn't follow all of it since the choice of intertitles was between some cyrillic script and German (in which I'm not exactly fluent).  However as far as I could tell it was about thrawted young love -- the girl having been pledged in childhood to a man she couldn't love (having already lost her heart to another) and her family being too proud to lose face and back down.  I think Namus means chastity or virginal maiden or some such -- I need to check this further.  Anyhow it all ended in tears before bedtime.  For such an old film, the print I viewed was in sparkling black and white and used a sophisticated collection of dissolves and close-ups, and it certainly provided a totally fascinating peek into a culture unknown to me.  In case you are wondering where I saw this, it was on German TV via satellite.  The one thing I'll say about the Germans is that their television offers a much better selection of films than ours, even if they do dub just about everything into their own language -- apart from silents, they appear to hate subtitles.

No comments: