Sunday 25 February 2007

Running Scared (2006)

Maybe I'm the sort of cinephile who should stick to the classics, but I always feel obliged to view current movies if they come my way.  This is one that I certainly would not have gone out of my way to view, despite its puzzlingly high rating on  IMDb.  Paul Walker (normally an extremely lightweight actor) has a heavy role here as a mobster who is charged with getting rid of some hot guns that were used to kill some bent cops, but one of these gets into the hands of his son's best friend, the abused child of a Russian hoodlum; the fact that Walker is actually an undercover cop does not interfere with the violent proceedings where nearly everyone ends of dead or bleeding and the dialogue consists of a profusion of  f-words.  Perhaps some modern viewers consider this kind of movie high art of a contemporary hue, but for my money you can take it and all its f-words and sit on it.  The excitement are display here is lethally deadly (in the most boring sense of the word).

Oscars tonight!  Always a highpoint of my year for totally inexplicable reasons.  But I will confess that I never actually stay up to the wee hours to watch them live.  I set them on the digibox and will watch them straight through when I am up and rested in the morning, being careful all the while to avoid the morning papers.  I don't think the additional few hours spoils the excitement and at least I should be sufficiently awake to enjoy the proceedings.  We must take our feeble pleasures where we can!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about logging down and checking them out til I fall asleep...LOL...hope you had a good weekend!  Hugs,TerryANn