Tuesday 13 February 2007

Presenting Lily Mars (1943)

I haven't written for a couple of days since most of what I watched over the weekend left a great yawning hole and didn't bear thinking about a second time, but yesterday was better.  I saw a rather sweet Brazilian movie called "The Man who Copied" which I hope to return to soon and the above vintage Judy Garland feature.  I say that my mood was 'happy', but in fact this was rather tinged with sadness when I compare the joyous Judy on screen here with her later descent -- not that she wasn't always capable of great performances until the end (but what a waste!)

Here she is in one of her early adult roles -- actually 21 at the time but playing a very believable 19.  On one level it's the standard 'aspiring entertainer goes to New York and makes good on Broadway' scenario, but that is too simple a summary.  Yes, she is the lead and center of the action, but half the musical numbers go to an operatic European peformer of the period (one Martha Eggerth -- and no, I'm not familiar with her either) who is in fact more suitable than Judy as the original love interest for leading man Van Heflin (who was 33 when this film was made -- and looks it).  However it is when Judy is on screen that the picture comes alive, not just for her fabulous voice and magnificent song-styling, but also for her freshness, her excellent comedic skills, and dare I add her sublime prettiness.  She is truly a breath of fresh air among the jaded Broadway types.  And for once the tale is not one of the youngster stepping in for the jaded or injured or difficult diva, but a more realistic spin on this.

Finally I must comment on my delight at seeing three of the old-timers in the cast -- for once all women.  We have the wonderful Spring Byington as Judy's Mum and the equally great Fay Bainter as Heflin's, but the standout performance is Connie Gilchrist's, playing a cleaner-cum-dresser at the theatre, who had the same dreams as Judy as a youngster, but who never quite made it.  However she is happy just being at a theatre, rather than anywhere else, and her brief duet with Judy reminds one of the many joys in life.

No comments: