Friday 9 February 2007

Hidden (Cache) (2005

Going back to one's expectations before watching a film, I had heard nothing but praise for this French film from Austrian director Michael Haneke, many of whose earlier movies were scarily good.  However, having now seen this film, I must report that I found it abso-bloody-lutely infuriating.  I don't like to use the word "cheat", but this is as good a description as any.  In its favour the director managed to provide an ongoing sense of suspense and threat and I truly wanted to understand what was behind the anonymous surveillance videos and nasty drawings being sent to media personality Daniel Auteuil and his wife Juliette Binoche.  Well, I'll never know since the film offers no believable explanations and these seem to be no more than a device from a look-at-how-clever-I-am director.  He appears to be making some comment about how successful people can not disassociate themselves from their pasts which will return to haunt them, except Auteuil's boyhood actions against an innocent Algerian orphan have left him with little or no guilt.  The movie is full of red herrings and totally unrelated scenes involving the couple's 12-year old son and is, in the final analysis, probably not that well-made.  It was a glossy but empty major disappointment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate it when  i get my hopes up on a film that has been raved about only to find it was a disapointment!!!  Have a good day!  TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Have you watched "Severence" yet? If so, I would be interested in your views.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Um excuse me.

This was one of those great moments when maybe you don't need explanations. Why are French films so cool?

From the opening scene this could be classed as 'other'. So slow it's cool. You see that video shot of their front door so many times - repetition, but things have moved on a tiny bit more each time (in terms of what you understand of the characters). It's more a presentation of a moment in a life than a begining middle and end. I love mysterious endings.

Maybe the thing with the son is harkening to that old theme - father and son. How much is the main character living for his son - how much does he have to do with him, how much does he liken him to his young self (and that scares him, and he doesn't want his son to end up like him), and how alienated does his son feel from his father? But then this is probably just what I see in it..... for obvious reasons......