Saturday 25 February 2006

The Terminal (2004)

I saw the last of the Renoirs this afternoon, but will hold that review for another time, since the films I've seen in the season have been something of a disappointment.  I got home just in time to view the above on the box as I needed some mindless entertainment.  Well, mindless it certainly was, but entertaining is another story.  Despite the pedigree combination of director Spielberg and leading man Hanks, it was a somewhat sloppy and leisurely telling of a man without a country stuck at Kennedy Airport for nine months (based on the real-life story of an Iranian in Paris).  I can do without actors adopting funny accents even if they are meant to be from a mythical mid-European country, since we all know that it is Tom Hanks up there on the screen.  Stanley Tucci had the unenviable role of the big bad authority figure stopping Hanks from leaving the airport and Catherine Zeta Jones was a pseudo love interest.  There were a few amusing touches, largely from an Indian cleaner, and a feel-good ending, but it took two hours to get there.  I'm afraid it will go down as one of Mr. Spielberg's lesser efforts.  The best thing about it was the colossal set that was built since they couldn't shoot the damn thing at Kennedy, but you would never realise that it was all make-believe.  However, that's hardly a recommendation to see the movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lolol JP have just sat and watched it.  Tom Hanks is a fave of mine and oh!!! how chubby he's got.  I enjoyed the tale, thought the ending ended not where I expected it to.  It's another Sunday afternoon lazy movie not you're late night thriller, but it was ok.  I agree on the accents, they didn't fit right to the people. Rache xx

Anonymous said...

Meant to see this when it was on release, but was too busy with other things.... Spielberg and Hanks are really milking that relationship  aren't they. I remember all the press stuff on the guy it was based on - the idea that it was real was just weird. And slipping in and out of the cloackrooms at the Barbican (the Hall Circle one was just like the one in one of the clips on the previews) it felt uncanny each time I was there.

It wasn't long after Catch Me If You Can either - Hanks in an airport again.

But, I'm the last to complain. I'm a new-age Tom Hanks convert. He's just a great character actor. Yes - he always plays himself, but that's part of the deal I guess. He's nice. And that's worth quite a lot these days......