Thursday 9 February 2006

It's catch-up time again

As I've written previously, I do not review everything that I watch -- much of the time because I have little I would wish to say about the various films.  But occasionally I feel I should let you know what else has been trying to divert me and in most instances why they have not succeeded:

The Heat's On (1943): Mae West's last movie for some thirty years and one of her worst.  Even 'though she was getting on at the time, the pic only comes alive when she is on screen and that is not hardly often enough.

The I Inside (2003): Possibly destined for cult status but not for me.  Ryan Phillippe copes with what is real and whether or not he is alive or dead.  Give me "Jacob's Ladder" any time.

Foreign Affair (1948): Even minor Billy Wilder is fine from my point of view and the ever-watchable Marlene Dietrich squaring off against uptight Jean Arthur in post-war Berlin is worth anyone's time.

Happy Go Lovely (1951): A very minor British Musical which brought David Niven back from Hollywood and also imported co-stars Vera-Lynn and Cesar Romero.  Pretty forgettable all round.

L'Eclisse (1962): Another exercise in alientation from Antonioni (see my comments on Il Deserto Rosso).  Even Monica Vitti looks bored in this one.

Turtles Can Fly (2004): Surprisingly a joint Iran-Iraq prodiuction about children and child refugees living on the Kurdish border.  Well done but not surprisingly extremely depressing.  I can get depressed without watching movies.

I Went Down (1997):  Chores for Mr. Big in the criminal world of Dublin.  I probably would have liked this more if I understood more than half of the dialogue.  Brendan Gleeson was the only cast member I knew and he was pretty good (I think).

Legend of the Suram Fortress (1984): A later film from the director of "Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors", but this time in Armenian.  I enjoyed watching it since again the visuals were fantastic, but I would need a better grasp of Armenian folklore to understand most of the action -- but this may or may not matter.

Children of Fortune (2000):  A made for television movie about a San Diego naval detective with his bolshy daughter in tow investigating a murder which takes him to a polygamous community.  A little different from run-of-the-mill TVMs but nothing enormously special to write home about.

Marquise (1997):  Afictional story set amongst real characters in 17th Century France with Sophie Marceau playing a dancer-cum-whore aspiring to be an actress and using her charms to entice Moliere and Racine.  Perfectly watchable and something of a romp.

Stander (2003): A telling of the exploits of Andre Stander a charismatic bank robber in South African played reasonably well by Thomas Jane who I have always assumed is American.  But not every life deserves a biopic.

Callas Forever (2002):  Fanny Ardant playing the diva just before her death as producer Jeremy Irons tries to engineer her come-back.  A bit on the yawn-making side although the music was fine.

Before Sunset (2004):  I was never taken with the first film "Before Sunrise" which also starred Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy some nine years ago, although in retrospect it was rather more cinematic than this unresolved and wordy mess.  Some people think it great, so perhaps I have no boogie!

Gosh, have I really seen all these movies apart from those reviewed below in the last week or so, maybe I should go out for some fresh air.  But I do -- honest, I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only claim 2 films here: Turtles can fly (Maybe depressing but what deep emotion, and an insight into another life, which is why we watch films really)and Before Sunset (which seemed like one long conversation as they walked - at the time it seemed fresh and stylish, and luvvy-duvvy too).

Meanwhile I've been nusy with Real Fiction & Bad Guy (both Korean - there must be some Korean thing going on in the water)Five in the Afternoon - think it's from Afghanistan, Bully, Hidden - on current release and a study in minimalism, and well.... I hate to say it.... but Toy Story, which actually was seriously funny.

The Callas film sounds good. Especially the Jeremy Irons bit......  

Ever written a film review book?

Anonymous said...

Oh and there was Eisenstein's first film 'Strike' too with accompaniment from Yo Yo Mundi, an Italian rock band. That was probably the most bizarre film experience..... and probably the furthest from the idea of a soundtrack he'd had back in 1925, but what an idea to re-invent it!

http://www.yoyomundi.com/