Wednesday 12 March 2008

The Game (1997)

A fellow cinema blogger, Joe Valdez, whose reviews I admire for their thoroughness -- I admit that I haven't the patience to write at length about a film and tend to give only my gut reactions -- recently reviewed the above movie in a way that made me want to see it again.  So I did, but still am unable to share his enthusiasm for it.

Michael Douglas plays a workaholic businessman whose feckless brother, Sean Penn (trademark: "best actor of his generation") gives him 'the game' as a birthday present.  This is supposedly a tailor-made entertainment for the man who has everything and an intrigued Douglas initially goes along with it.  Were it me, I would have told the corporate suits administering the wheeze to sit on it when they began with their battery of psychological questionnaires.  What follows thereafter is a non-stop, action-packed whirlwind where Douglas is shot at, ruined financially, and left in a shallow Mexican grave.  The movie plays on our generation's paranoia and one can believe that concerted outside forces can indeed impinge on our lives and self-perception.  It is all terribly exciting and outrageous, and, as long as one ignores the gaping plot-holes, meant to be entertaining; however it is all relentless without even a sprinking of humour to keep one happily viewing.  And I just couldn't buy the final outcome or the ease with which Douglas accepted it.  I have never warmed to his father as an actor, despite his appearing in some remarkable movies, and I think I feel the same way about the son.  He is certainly able, but in no way likeable.

So Joe, you did your job and got at least one viewer to pay attention and seek out a particular movie.  It's not your fault that I was unable to enthuse on the same terms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A thoroughly nasty film for sadists and masochists which demonstrates that the
strongest feeling between brothers is often hatred.   Individual scenes are well
done but the overall result is one of great distaste - and a complete lack of
sympathy for all involved.