Sunday 16 March 2008

The Forsyte Saga (1967)

I have not been keeping up my film-watching average this week, as I have been revisiting the above BBC series (apparently the first mini-series ever) -- all 26 episodes at roughly 50 minutes each.  I still have two to go, but I thought I should take a break and put down a few thoughts for my latterday reading and reminiscence.

I must confess that I did not watch the 2002 remake which was considerably shorter, filmed in colour, and generally sexed up (as a key plot point revolves around marital rape).  Partly this was because I had such fond memories of this original series, partly because given my druthers I will always opt for classic black and white filming, and partly because I just couldn't seen Gina McKee who is undoubtely a better actress than Nyree Dawn Porter in the pivotal role of Irene -- she just isn't good-looking enough.  Originally broadcast on Saturday nights for its full 26 weeks back in 1967, it had a nation glued to its TV sets and remains a remarkable achievement today.

Based on a trio of trilogies by John Galsworthy -- only the first three novels actually comprise "The Forsyte Saga" -- it traces the fortunes of a wealthy but not titled family from Victorian times through the late 1920s, as they reflect both the feuds that can arise in extended families and the changing social environment.  Undoubtedly the most interesting portions are the early chapters with the old guard of aged aunts and uncles and one felt their loss as each one gradually left the story.  Apart from the aforementioned Irene, the main protagonists are 'Young Jolyon' played by Kenneth More and his four children by his three wives and Soames played by the incredible Eric Porter and his late-in-life daughter played by the lovely Susan Hampshire.  Soames was meant to be the villain of the piece, insofar as a man of taste and principle who has lost in love can be a villain.  While something of a cold fish and hard to accept compared to the free-thinking More, I have always felt that his is the backbone of the tale and I can not help but feel sorry for him.  The fact that Porter is such a brilliant actor is no small part of this.

Peopled with familiar faces from British television -- the actors are less-known for their movie credits (although Hampshire's appearance in the amazing Belgian movie "Malpertuis" endears her to me), the cast is without exception fabulous.  When I've finally rewatched the remaining two episodes I know that I will miss them all and will want to plan a revisit very soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your fondness for this great piece of television has affected your critical
faculties.   Yes, Eric Porter is superb providing a sustained performance which
became the benchmark for all future actors.   Yes, many of the minor roles are
more than adequately done - Fay Compton et al would hardly do otherwise.   I
think the younger generations were, by and large, adequately played though there is something about Susan Hampshire that makes it hard for me to like
anything she has done but I am not so sure that Kenneth More, who was, at that
time, almost an institution, was other than his usual persona and Nyree Dawn
Porter was, for me, the weak link.  Even with those caveats, the series holds up
remarkably well and has probably not been bettered though 'Briedshead
Revisited' runs it close (Gielgud cancelling out Olivier)