Tuesday 12 December 2006

Passion of Mind (2000)

It has taken some six years for this Demi Moore film to find its way to television.  It sank without much trace on its release and was the beginning of the end for her as a major screen presence, but it is not really as bad as you might think or as stupid as the storyline appears.  Basically Moore plays two parallel roles: a young American widow with two children living in France and a single publishing executive in New York.  Each life only appears in the dreams of the other character and, while we assume that Moore is not a nutcase, we can only guess which is her real life.  Into each scenario comes a potential love interest -- Stellan Skarsgard in France, William Fichtner in New York -- but only one of them can really exist!  The viewer is not left with these paradoxes and a feasible solution is presented.  The fact that this answer wipes out the more appealing characters is, I suppose, unfortunate.  An interesting premise, reasonably well-acted, but with the overall feel of a made-for-television movie (which it wasn't).

Tomorrow, if I can make the time, I shall let you have my recommendations for films worth watching on UK television over Christmas.  But I warn you now, it is fairly thin pickings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hummm and I actually liked this one when I seen it...LOL..hugs,TerryAnn