Saturday 16 December 2006

Frostbite (2006)

By rights I should have seen this Swedish film at FrightFest a few months back, but it was one of their late-night showings (past my bedtime!).  So I finally caught up with it some four months later and apart from the fact that I can now say that I have seen the one and only Swedish vampire flick ever produced in that country, I can't say a great deal more.  A hospital lab technician and her daughter move to the North which is still in the throes of Arctic night and fall in with a nest of vampires.  Well at least the chief doctor has been one since a World War II experience and has been hiding out with a child vampire for the past sixty years studying how to perfect his species and take over the world -- as one does.  Unfortunately one of his medical students steals the controlling blood pills and they find their way to a teenage rave as the drug of choice with the expected bloody results.  Poorly paced and something of a riff on vampire legends -- I never knew that afflicted people had dogs address them! -- the movie was played more for laughs than for chills, and on this level, it was a pleasant enough diversion -- but I doubt that other horrormeisters need fear the competition here. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise.....

...he got Frostbite


The trashier they are the funnier they are.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an intersting flick!  Will have to keep this one in mind! Hugs,TerryANn